Wednesday, February 22, 2006

pure joy...pure love...



I love watching the Olympics, especially the winter. I am always surprised at the pride I feel watching the U.S. compete but more than that, I have really enjoyed watching my kids watch and take pride in their country as well. "Are they from U.S. mom?" or "Did we get a medal?" My 7 year old is an ice skater and she has loved watching that. This picture shows just how she feels about it - Pure Joy!

My kids and I had the opportunity to go to the Humanitarian Center for a little field trip yesterday and talk about pride. It made me feel so honored to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints when I saw just what they do there. All of the clothes that are donated go to the center first and 85% of them are sent to people in need all over the world, as well as medical and educational supplies. Everything is recycled. Book bags and toy balls are made from airplace seat upholstery. Clothes that are too worn are sold and the money is used to buy new blankets. It is a perfect example of the Pure Love of our Savior. It was truly inspiring! Go and visit, you won't regret it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a cute picture and what a great experience for your kids, to take them to the Humanitarian Center. You are awesome to do things like that with them. We too, are trying to start early with our little ones, to teach them the spirit of charity and service. Although Kaden is still young, we have done things like taking cookies and blankets to the fire department. We choose something he can completely relate to (the fire department...fire trucks, etc.) and do something service related. It's a good thing...as is what you did with your little ones!