Tuesday, February 07, 2006

music makes the world go round


I was working on a scrapbook page the other day and wanted to capture my feelings about music. As I thought about what it means to me, I realized that music is a universal language that conveys a universe of feeling. It doesn't matter our race, age, or education, music affects us all. I love watching my little kids' faces light up when they hear a song and watch them dance to the beat. They just can't help it, they have to move.

I took some pictures of my violin - something I have never done, and had a blast playing with the photos in photoshop. This photo is what I came up with - I love the color and shape. The violin is an instant visual message of music and feeling to me. I have played it in various orchestras and symphonies over the last 25 years (man that makes me seem old!). Some of the most powerfully moving music experiences I have had was when I played with the Mormon Youth Symphony. We would rehearse every Wednesday in the Tabernacle, which was open to visitors. Our conductor would turn to the congregation and ask who had come the farthest. Every single time, there would be people visiting from all over the world - far off places, and they couldn't speak English, but they could feel the power of the music. They could feel the message whether we played from any of the great composers or religious selections - it was a very powerful communicator.

I love all kinds of music and love playing it as well. Isn't it funny that we listen to certain songs at certain times? Like if I'm happy or excited, I always like upbeat songs, and if I'm thoughtful and reflectful, I like something else. Music really does make the world go round!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Love the violin picture Joey! I feel the same way about music...it has alway been and will always be a big part of my life!!

heidi larsen said...

i wish that i could play the violin still. i think that maybe in the next life i will try and find the time to practice more. :].