Wednesday, February 01, 2006

a big shocker...

Being a mom is certainly the most exciting & shocking thing I have done so far in my life. Right from birth, the kids have kept me on my toes. I try to anticipate what they will do, keep them safe, but still - sometimes they surprise me. For instance: my four year old son - Oaken - was standing with me in my bathroom last night. I was putting on my make-up and he was just standing there, playing with random stuff on the counter, and then it happend. A POP and a flash of light! The smell of ozone floats through the air. I was shocked at the sight - he wasn't. He had taken some toenail clippers and "clipped" the cord to our toothbrush charger - which was plugged in. He ran into the bedroom, a bit scared, and I had to follow to check him out. He didn't get shocked - nothing. There was a big, metal chunk taken out of the clippers, but he didn't get shocked - amazing. As I found out this morning, my hair dryer and straightener (which were also plugged in) were shocked too, they don't work. I will be going to the store.

A different kind of shocker happened a few days ago. My oldest, Chloe, eleven years old and on the brink of teenagerism shocks me too. It was a morning like any other. Madly rushing about the house, gathering homework and coats while eating breakfast and picking up rooms. Her dad asked her to deliver something to a neighbor on her way to school. She has to walk right past the house. "No" she said. "I don't have time." "It's on your way, come on and help your dad." I pleaded (okay, I kind of yelled, but she was being unreasonable). "I don't want to (whines a little) you can do it." She says to her dad and leaves the house. Her dad and I exchange "a little disappointment but not really too suprised" glances and he gets ready to deliver his package. A few minutes later, Chloe comes back in the house, grabs the delivery from the counter, gives a little smile, and leaves again. Now we exchange looks of shock - and then a little relief. Her concience got to working on her and she needed to make it right. We were proud of her decision. It's the little things that you hope for - those slivers of gold that show your kids are learning how to be nice people.

No comments: