Sunday, July 23, 2006

float...

Tomorrow is a big holiday here in Utah - Pioneer Day. We have a huge parade - actually the 3rd largest in the country, and this is the float I was lucky enough to help my stake build. The title is "Capturing Generations from Quill to Computer" and shows the progression of family history over the years.

The back of the float (in this picture) shows a laptop computer with a picture of a family by the temple. There is also a little "go cart" computer mouse with a darling little girl driving that will be towed behind. The sides of the float have the old fashioned typewriters accented with some pencils and the front of the float has a giant parchment scroll. These pictures show the float before the little mice (actually they are huge - the scale on a float is awsome) are dancing on the typewriter keys and parchment scroll.

Isabel and I are working on the title banners that go along the entire sides of the float. The matching outfits were totally by chance, but they do make for a very nice picture! What an awsome helper Isabel was. She kept at this with me until it was finished - totally focused on the task at hand. She also helped me attached the fringy stuff to the bottom of the float. Chloe helped a lot too on some of the earlier projects. It would have been quite a bit harder and longer without their help!

I had to show this shot of the drivers seat of this float. My hubby, Scott, will be driving it and I took the picture so he could see the luxury he would be surrounded by while driving (is that a fire extinguisher?). Who said that float drivers didn't have a glamorous job?

And finally, Isabel and I at the convention center where the preview party will be - this shot just shows the scale of this float. I am so used to working with paper and pictures 12x12 inches and under. To actually participate in something this size was eye opening and so fun. Practially everything is glittered too and I'm such a sparkly and bling girl, it was right up my alley!

The Days of '47 Parade is televised around the entire country on July 24th. If you get the chance, watch for this float tomorrow - it's turn is about half way through - I think. It is the float from the Copper Hills Stake. I am so honored and proud to have had the chance to participate in something like this. Building a float just isn't something you come across everyday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a cool float!