Tuesday, June 13, 2006

a little help?...

Today at Target - we picked up a few balls. I love the facination with bouncy balls that my kids have...what is it that they love so much? The color? The shape? So, Jilly and Oaken are with me and we leave the store. I am carrying Jilly and they are both carrying their ball and I knew that Jill would drop hers. Sure enough, a few steps outside and down goes the ball. Picture me trying to carry her - crying (she is the one crying), plus my purse and bags, and run after a ball that is being pushed along by the wind. I didn't catch it - I was torn between putting Jill down at the busy store entrance and running after a $2.50 ball. Here is where it gets interesting. As I start running, still holding Jill, a young woman comes out of the store - she has one small bag. The ball goes right in front of her and all she does is smirk with this "whatever" look on her face with a little bit of a half laugh, and watches the ball go by. It was right there. I looked at her, kind of unbelieving that she didn't even try. To me, it is reflex to try and catch a rouge ball but instead she stopped and watched the whole thing happen, then went on her merry way. You would almost have to try NOT to catch it. Needless to say, I drove to the other end of Target and picked up the ball - happiness again.

It's the little things that matter most. It was obvious to me she wasn't in a big hurry. As I drove down to the other end, I saw her leaving - this is after I had strapped my kids in, plus myself. It wouldn't even had mattered if she had tried and failed - just the effort and being a nice person is what makes the difference. It reminds me of that commercial - not even sure what it's for - where someone is observing another human being nice to someone else, in small ways - and in turn they are influenced to help someone else out along their way. Nothing big, but helpful. Anyway - hear's to being nice and have a nice...no - have a wonderful day!

No comments: